When it comes to finding the right cable for a project, the abundance of options can be overwhelming, especially to those who are not well versed in all the different types of cables and wires out there. FFC Cable (Flat Flexible Cable) is an increasingly popular and necessary type of cable in a world where technology is getting smaller and more compact.
What are Flat Flexible Cables (FFC)?
While “FFC” is a broad term that can be used to describe any cable that is flat and flexible, it usually describes the extremely thin, flat cables found in high-density electronics. Devices such as modern televisions, smartphones, and tablets all utilize FFCs.
Advantages and Common Uses of Flat Flexible Cables
What are some of the advantages of Flat Flex Cable over other models and when are they most useful? Here is a brief breakdown to give you a good idea if FFCs are right for your project.
Flat Flexible Cable (FFC Cable) Advantages
- Low profile and narrow width
- High flexibility
- Quick and easy, ready-to-plug connection
- Easily foldable
- Simple locking mechanism
- Provides reliable connection
FFC Cable Common Uses
FFCs are found in many electronic devices including:
- Flat panel display interconnects
- Mother boards
- Touch screens
- Video displays
- HD television displays
- Smartphones and tablets
What is the Pitch on a FFC Cable?
The pitch is the distance measured between the center of one conductor to the center of the neighboring conductor on an FFC. Some of the common measurements you might see in relation to a cable’s pitch include 0.5mm, 1.0mm and 1.25mm, although custom cables can be made with variable pitch length. Custom pitch and multiple pitch flat flexible cables are available upon special request, and Quadrangle Products specializes in manufacturing custom cables for our clients.
Common Questions Related to Flat Flexible Cables
We get a lot of questions regarding cables. Some of the common questions regarding flat flexible cables include:
- What are flat flexible cables and wires used for?
- What is the difference between flat flexible cables (FFC) and flexible printed circuits (FPC)?
- What is the Pitch on a FFC Cable?
- Are flat flexible cables more durable?
- What are flat flexible cables made of?
Information About Flat Flex Cable From Quadrangle
Quadrangle has over 100,000 individual FFCs in stock at any time and we support rapid prototypes often done within a few days. Here are some of the specifics about the flat flex cable we manufacture at Quadrangle Products:
- Many stocked conductor counts (2-60)
- Typical lengths of 3, 6, 9 and 12 inches
- Custom and other lengths available
- Same side and opposite side contacts
- Tin plating and gold plating available
- Extension Kits available
- Shielding available
- 100% Customizable with low MOQ on custom parts (500PCS)
- We use UL & CSA approved components in all of our cable assemblies
Contact Quadrangle Products Inc. about Custom FFC Cable
Are you working on a project that requires you to use Flat Flexible Cables but aren’t sure exactly what you need? The cable experts at Quadrangle Products Inc. are available to answer any questions you might have and point you in the right direction. We offer 100% customizable FFC Cable for a wide variety of project types. Contact us today and check out our cable products page to see some of the models we offer.